It has happened. I’ve crossed the threshold into my next decade, the 30s, and guess what – I’m good with it.
The approaching day o’ birth has had me thinking for a few months now – mostly analyzing what’s led me through three decades and what I’ve learned along the way. And just like that, my first blog post started to take shape in my head. Now I’m charging myself with putting it out there for 1) frequent reminders and 2) in case you’ve been there, done that – care to reminisce.
Full disclosure: a few of the biggest reasons I’m welcoming the next age box is because of where I am in my life, the company that fills it and what I’ve accomplished thus far. If these three factors did not exist, this post would be headed in the opposite direction.
And now for the 30 that got me to 30:
1. Always make eye contact.
2. You actually do get better/wiser with age.
3. If you’re not happy – do something about it.
4. It’s your job to look out after you.
5. When flower vases are empty, fill them yourself.
6. Use ‘No’ as ammo.
7. Whoever comes are the right people.
8. Become the best listener.
9. If your job sucks you dry – do something about it.
10. Act like a lady. Cross your legs. Stand up straight. Command a presence.
11. You know how to eat en elephant? Bite by bite.
12. Challenge yourself, frequently.
13. Start dance parties.
14. Friends are the family you choose – choose wisely.
15. Say what you mean and mean what you say.
16. Second day hair is always the best.
17. Give thanks.
18. Surround yourself with inspirational people.
19. The love you receive from your dog is second to none.
20. Work/learn/give towards the greatest love you’ve ever known.
21. The big secret to life is that there is no big secret – your goals become reality when you’re ready to work for them.
22. A gentleman will never go out of style and should not be taken for granted.
23. Leaving the comfort of everything you know as such is something I believe everyone should do for themselves.
24. Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.
25. If you’ve made it to 30 with your belly button pierced, it’s (been) time to take that out.
26. You don’t have to like everyone.
27. If it goes against what you believe in, stand up.
28. Work what you’ve got while you’ve got it.
29. Just buy the plane ticket.
30. Read more, watch less.